Herb Flat Iron with Red Wine Sauce
Recipe provided by the Certified Angus Beef® brand
- 2 pounds Certified Angus Beef ® flat iron (optional tri tip steak)
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Lea & Perrins® Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut in half-inch cubes, kept cold
- Kosher salt to taste
- In a small bowl, combine oregano, thyme, rosemary, pepper and dry mustard.
- Evenly sprinkle herb mix on all sides of beef. Place in airtight container in refrigerator for four hours or overnight.
- In a large saucepan bring red wine to a boil; reduce by half. Add beef broth and Worcestershire. Bring back to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and reduce to approximately 1 1/4 cup. Remove from heat, whisk in butter and Dijon.
- Preheat grill on high. Season both sides of steak with salt, reduce heat to medium high and grill or broil to desired doneness. (We suggest medium rare for a flat iron.)
- Remove from heat; place steak in a sheet of aluminum foil. Add 1/4 cup of dipping sauce, close foil, and allow to rest 5 minutes before slicing and serving with warm red wine sauce.
- *Chef’s suggestion: use leftover steak and sauce for the American Beef Dip sandwich for lunch or dinner the next day.